[Osmf-talk] Announcing my candidacy for the OSMF Board Elections 2017

Jean-Guilhem Cailton jgc at arkemie.org
Sun Nov 26 11:58:20 UTC 2017

Hi David,

Thank you very much for being a candidate, and thus offering an
alternative choice to voters.

Your goal of increasing the representation of indigenous populations
worldwide, and of the South Pacific region, is welcome. And your
expertise in machine-learning should also be useful in dealing with
these significant technology advances from the point of view of the OSM
Community.

Best regards,

Jean-Guilhem

Le 23/11/2017 à 00:49, David Dean a écrit :
> Hi everyone,
>
> I would like to put forward myself as a candidate for the OSMF Board
> at the 2017 AGM election. I have put a candidacy statement up at
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/David%20Dean/diary/42796 and will
> start answering questions on the talk page within the next few days.
>
> My statement is also attached below.
>
> Happy Mapping,
>
> - David
>
> I have been an active OpenStreetMapper since 2007 (and an OSMF member
> since early 2016), and have been organising Mapping Parties in my
> local city of Brisbane, Australia since 2008 (although both activities
> were a bit quiet for a few years in the middle there - sorry about
> that!). I want to join the OSMF Board to primarily help increase
> representation from the AU/NZ/South Pacific Region, and indigenous
> populations worldwide, and secondarily to bring my decades of
> expertise in machine-learning to the upcoming challenges of
> integrating automated mapping with the local-community focusthat
> should always drive OSM contributions.
>

> Since coming back into OSM solidly in the last 5 months, I have
> re-caught the mapping bug big time. I have mapped locally, and across
> the world for the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team, every single day
> since July! I am working on re-ramping up my involvement in the
> project significantly, and I am performing outreach in the local
> spatial community to increase the awareness of both OSM and the
> Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team. I particular enjoy teaching and
> introducing new members to the project, and have run two Missing Maps
> events, alongside other local Mapping Parties, and I will continue to
> organise events locally every month.
>

> I am an active participant of HOT mapping efforts, and I believe
> strongly in the ability of remote mapping to provide a great starting
> point for local communities to take ownership of their maps. In fact,
> I believe that this is the first and foremost principle of
> OpenStreetMap, that if anything is taking away, or discouraging, local
> ownership of the map it is probably not a good idea.
>

> If elected, I would seek to improve the representation of the needs of
> Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific mappers towards the OSMF
> Board. In particular, I am very interested, and already working
> towards, how the OpenStreetMap project and communities can extend our
> community, models and techniques towards indigenous populations around
> the world. Indigenous populations often look at the world differently
> than the Euro-centric origins of the OpenStreetMap project, but I
> believe that some of the valuable lessons already learnt by HOT in how
> local disadvantaged communities can take ownership of their maps can
> be extended and improved upon for the indigenous populations of
> Australia, New Zealand, the South Pacific, and around the world. To be
> clear, I am not indigenous myself, but I am in already in the process
> [...]

"Tant qu’on n’aura pas compris que le cerveau est une machine à dominer,
on ne pourra pas lutter efficacement contre ces hiérarchies aliénantes."
Dominique Dupagne, La revanche du rameur
<http://www.larevanchedurameur.com/>