[Osmf-talk] Paying Board/WG was: Standing for board election

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Sun Nov 26 13:52:56 UTC 2017

Am 26.11.2017 um 12:03 schrieb Christoph Hormann:
> The question apparently no one dares to ask is why there are so few
> volunteers (i.e. why is OSMF work unattractive for the volunteers in
> the OSM community of which we evidently have quite a few).

I don't think that it is a particular mystery, essentially the mainstay
of OSM are people that actually like improving the map (likely around
60'000-70'000 these days) plus some developers that like working on
OSM-associated projects (very small number maximum in the low 100s,
mostly a subset of the first group).

Given that most people don't have unlimited time budgets for their
hobbies, volunteering for the working groups or any other
non-mapping/non-software related activities simply  takes time away from
activities which were the reason you got involved in the first place.
Not to forget that lots of the active contributors are already doing
similar things at the national/local level.

The other aspect is that outside of the satisfaction that you are
helping keeping things working, there is no compensation outside of the
very anti-climax result that things keep on working. So I wouldn't
expect lots of people lining up for, what is at the end of the day,
simply work. The upside is that we don't have a lot of people
participating in the board and workings groups for the wrong reasons,
power, money, careers and so on, because you are not going to get any of
that, really.

Simon