[Osmf-talk] Gender in OSM/OSMF

Stefan Keller sfkeller at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 01:07:26 UTC 2017

Dear Tim

Just some remarks on the three references you gave:

[1] Concludes that "social motives as well as platform-specific
contribution and communication mechanisms influence women’s
participation behaviour."
[3] "Possible answer of low female participants: Because they perhaps
find other things more interesting than gadgets and sitting in front
of a computer for hours..." (my own free tanslation).
[2] Is a study of low scientific quality. Especially the example of
brothels and childcare tags is superficial and gives no evidence. See
earlier OSM talk threads for what I mean. (BTW it's an interesting
example where science is not always self-correcting, since this study
seems to be still being cited in an uncritical way).

So; yes, all studies detect an (obvious) imbalance of female and male
contributors in the field of VGI.
And yes I'd personally like to see too more women participating,
actually - not only in OSM but also in technical professions.
But besides [2] I hardly read in the studies that the OSM
"communication style" is more an issue than in other communities as
you suggest.
And again don't get me wrong: I of course are also in favour of a
welcoming culture and community and there's room for improvement in
OSM.

I'm really looking forward for Muki's research about systematic biases
in VGI 2018 [1].

In the meantime let's DO something - like going out mapping,
organizing parties, designing nice maps - or cleaning up and writing
good documentation.

:Stefan

[1] https://povesham.wordpress.com/2017/07/11/phd-studentship-in-collaboration-with-the-ordnance-survey-identifying-systematic-biases-in-crowdsourced-geographic-information/