[Osmf-talk] Balancing the presence of the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team at the OSM Foundation in 2017

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Wed Nov 29 16:33:20 UTC 2017

On Wednesday 29 November 2017, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> I think you might have a misconception about the OSMF board, that
> might lead to a point where you don't even want to talk to them
> because you think they are "HOT dominated" anyway. Please understand
> that this is not the case; even those on our current board who have
> the closest ties to HOT, have never suggested anything that would
> give HOT an unfair advantage. If, say, Projet EOF contacted us about
> something, they would be treated exactly the same as HOT.

But i think the Board also needs to understand that this is about
perception just as much as about anything else.  If the OSM community
to a significant percentage has the impression the OSMF is dominated by
certain special interest - be that HOT or corporate interests due to
many of the board members being employed by corporations connected to
OSM in some form - this will have a negative impact on the OSMFs
ability to fulfill its mission.

You can influence perception through communication (like you did with
your mail or candidates do with their campaigns) and through policy
changes like rules about conflicts of interest but the most weighty
influences on perception are always actions - either present or past
ones.

Dismissing the perception of an unbalance in the representation of the
OSM community by the board as misguided, offensive or irrelevant is not
a very sensible thing to do.

Long story short: Proportional representation of the OSM community in
the OSMF members and on the OSMF board is very important - no matter
how capable the board members consider themselves to be to distance
themselves from their own background and personal interests and
selflessly represent the OSM community.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/