[Osmf-talk] Balancing the presence of the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team at the OSM Foundation in 2017

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Wed Nov 29 17:02:05 UTC 2017

On Wednesday 29 November 2017, Martijn van Exel wrote:
> [...] Merely
> having an affiliation DOES NOT represent a conflict of interest. A
> conflict of interest only arises when a topic is being addressed
> where a board member has an interest in the topic stemming from their
> outside affiliation that may not align with the interest of OSMF.

I am no expert on conflicts of interests but i think this is not quite
correct.  As i understand it a conflict of interest exists based on the
possibility of an undue influence of a secondary interest, not just if
such an influence is actually exercised in a meaningful way.

My understanding is that even if you know/believe your secondary
interests (for example as a Telenav employee) align perfectly with the
interests of the OSMF on a certain matter or even if you intend to act
against these secondary interests you would still have to recuse
yourself from participation in a decision making process on matters
where your employer has an interest in due to the possibility that
these interests do not align perfectly and you might put these
interests above your obligation as a board member.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/