[Osmf-talk] Balancing the presence of the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team at the OSM Foundation in 2017

martin at noblecourt.eu martin at noblecourt.eu
Wed Nov 29 17:04:48 UTC 2017

Dear all,

My perspective on this question is that, as Ben mentioned, HOT is the
only organization really succeeding at developing and growing a
volunteer-based structure within the OSM ecosystem.
In comparison, most local chapters or other structures have chosen a
lighter model with no or reduced staffing and little organized
activities. In the case of the French chapter at least, it is a choice
on purpose to maintain a light structure.
Even a structure like CartONG that can seem quite similar than HOT on
many aspects, have way less OSM-related activities than HOT (it's less
than 10% of what our organization do in general).

HOT is also, to my knowledge, the only structure within the OSM
ecosystem actively inciting its members to join OSMF.

This naturally leads to a situation where HOT attracts many new
volunteers, pushes them to join OSMF (cf. Frederik's message), which
eventually leads to some of them getting interested in the overall
governance of OSM, and applying to the board.

I think the underlying question here, which is connected to the problems
of representativeness I already evoked on my previous message, is: *how
can we make the OSMF membership more representative of the overall OSM
ecosystem?*

My suggestion would be to leave much more space to the local chapters. I
know OSM France as a chapter (with elected representative etc. pp.) has
its own vision of what OSM should be, however I've never seen expressed
it here (I wouldn't be in a capacity to really do it, since I'm not a
OSM Fr board member or appointed to do so). I'm not even sure if someone
from the OSM Fr board is registered to this list and/or have time to
follow it currently :-)

Currently we face:
1) a lack of officially recognized chapter
(https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Local_Chapters => US, Germany
amongst the big contributors are missing, there's actually no chapter
outside Europe!)
2) a lack of information and interest from OSM chapters (recognized or
not) on OSMF's activities
3) a lack of official representation of the formal and informal chapters
within OSMF governance

These 3 challenges could be match by 3 actions points :
1.a) supporting the growth and structuration of local OSM chapters.
Several actors working in the development sector are already doing it
here and there (HOT, CartONG, EOF, etc.) however there is no concerted
effort, and it concerns only a few countries
1.b) Reaching and supporting existing informal chapters (some of them
are already incorporated in fact) to have them approved by OSMF
2) Informing the overall ecosystem on OSMF's foundation beyond the
membership itself. For instance I think I have never seen a message from
OSMF on a national mailing list. There are huge progresses to be made
here, and staff time could be valuable for that (cf. the other
discussion)
3) Changing the board's governance to officially have a representation
of local chapters (potentially reserved seats eventually, maybe only
advisory positions to start with?)

I think these actions points would improve drastically the
representativeness of OSMF and its board, and incidentally solve the
question of HOT's prevailing influence, as well as reduce the questions
on conflicts of interests (board members being mandated by chapters
would necessarily speak on behalf of their chapter more than other
private attachments).
I haven't checked in detail each of the candidates' position on this
matter, however I don't think it was really tackled, so I'd be
interested to see their take on that.

Thanks for reading me and sorry for the long message!

Best

Martin

On 29/11/2017 17:18, Ben Abelshausen wrote:
> [...]
>>> have to excuse themselves from any voting on the issue.
>>>
>>> One of the things we currently have on the table is writing down
>>> some
>>> rules about conflicts of interest to make this clearer to everyone
>>> involved - HOT affiliation is only one of many potential areas in
>>> which
>>> board members could be affected by a conflict of interest.

>>> influence
>>> without
>>>
>>> I can see how this might be a concern from the outside but you'll
>>> be
>>> hard pressed to find anything in our past work where you could say
>>> "ha,
>>> the are favouring HOT here". We've been in loose talks with the
>>> HOT
>>> about how to improve communications between them and us -
>>> sometimes in
>>> the past, a lack of information flow has led to undesirable
>>> results. At
>>> one time, HOT even tried to register a trademark that would
>>> directly
>>> conflict with our trademarks - things like that really shouldn't
>>> happen
>>> "among friends".

>>> of the
>>>
>>> Frankly, I *do* think that it is not right that HOT dominates the
>>> "humanitarian OSM" sector - I would love to see and hear more from
>>> groups like Projet EOF, and I find it sad that whenever people
>>> think
>>> "humanitarian" and "OSM" it's HOT who seem to have a monopoly
>>> there. But
>>> this is not HOT's fault; they're good at doing PR, and doing PR is
>>> certainly necessary for any success in their line of work. In
>>> humanitarian matters, we don't have a diversity problem at the OSM
>>> board
>>> level, we have a diversity problem *everywhere*, because EOF and
>>> other
>>> groups have such a small profile.
>>>
>>> I'm sure the board would be amenable to having better links with
>>> other
>>> humanitarian groups. It could even be within OSMF's mandate to
>>> support
>>> humanitarian groups that work with OSM. I am not aware of Projet
>>> EOF or
>>> anyone else having contacted the OSMF board about anything, nor am
>>> aware of anyone from that community standing for election in the
>>> recent
>>> past.
>>>
>>> I think you might have a misconception about the OSMF board, that
>>> might
>>> lead to a point where you don't even want to talk to them because
>>> you
>>> think they are "HOT dominated" anyway. Please understand that this
>>> is
>>> not the case; even those on our current board who have the closest
>>> ties
>>> to HOT, have never suggested anything that would give HOT an
>>> advantage. If, say, Projet EOF contacted us about something, they