[Osmf-talk] DWG survey on organized editing

Manfred A. Reiter ma.reiter at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 12:56:07 UTC 2017

Hi Paul, *,

Please don't get me wrong. I think it is great that the OSMF/DWG is
gathering an opinion of the community.

> On 10/8/2017 1:28 AM, Manfred A. Reiter wrote:
>
>> One of my biggest reservations is the fact that the survey is being
>> conducted in English only.
>>
>> From my work for weeklyOSM I know for sure that many contributors from
>> French-speaking cultural circles or speakers from Latin America will
>> certainly be overwhelmed by the survey in English. The same applies to many
>> of the German-speaking contributors I have spoken to.
>>

> This is something we discussed and went back and forth on. LimeSurvey
> allows for surveys in multiple languages, and we even started a translation.
>
> As Frederik has mentioned, accurate translations are difficult when asking
> for opinions.

Absolutely! ... but now imagine someone who speaks very little English. He
will certainly not understand the deeper meaning of some questions and/or
answers.

[...]

This was our first survey. I'm sure we'll do better the next time we need
> one, now that we have more experience.

Once again: I think it is very good that the OSMF/DWG is gathering an
opinion of the community.

However, one should not pretend that everyone in the community has
sufficient knowledge of the English language to participate in such
surveys. I also understand the practical constraints, but I would also ask
for some consideration to be given to the diversity of languages spoken in
OSM. ; -)

--
## Manfred Reiter - -
## N 49° 25' 11.028" E 06° 50' 47.328"