[Osmf-talk] DWG survey on organized editing

Heather Leson heatherleson at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 09:06:41 UTC 2017

Dear Colleagues,

I recommend that we have a subsequent and more inclusive plan for any
policy discussion. It is very disturbing to see such a low contribution
from Asia and Africa, where the majority of the world lives. If that is in
line with OSMF membership, then this is also something that needs work.
Maybe the conversation show expand to reach more people via other channels
like Weekly OSM, Facebook (where the majority of Asia communicates) etc.
and more languages

Thank you,

Heather

Regional distribution

We also did an analysis by continent. We had 417 results from Europe (which
for our purpose includes Russia), 187 from North America, *35 from Asia*,
15 from Australia and Oceania, 13 from South America, and *1 from Africa*.
(We used the submission IP number to determine the continent where people
hadn't given their country.) We're publishing the results for all
continents except Africa (where the one contributor is too easy to
de-anonymise), however South America and Australia/Oceania have too few
submissions to draw any conclusions there. Overall, Europe is more in
favour of regulation than North America and Asia (11% in Europe say no
policy is needed, while 31% and 30% say so in North America and Asia,
respectively). This is, however, likely to be a reflection of where the
paid/organised mapping organisations are. Only 6% of respondents in Europe
are affiliated with an organisation that does paid mapping, but 32% in
North America and 31% in Asia are; only 16% of respondents in Europe are
affiliated with an organisation that does other organised mapping, but 47%
in North America and 37% in Asia are.

Heather Leson
heatherleson at gmail.com
Twitter/skype: HeatherLeson