[Osmf-talk] DWG survey on organized editing

Joseph Reeves iknowjoseph at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 10:19:00 UTC 2017

Hi Heather, all,

I agree with your points. Simon has commented that:

The survey is going to be skewed in many ways for example by higher
participation from people associated with organisations with a vested
interest in paid/organized editing. I don't really think anybody was even
remotely assuming that this was going to be representative (doing a
representative survey would face many many challenges in any case), but
more simply a rough gathering of sentiment on the issue. Given that, I
think we can live with the slight advantage we've given to English speakers.

Which, sadly, I think, explains a lot of what you've highlighted: It was
never going to be representative. Simon was wrong, however: There was no
higher participation from people associated with paid mapping (15% of
respondents), or people doing organised mapping (26%). This vast
majority of participants in this survey did not partake in organised
mapping: It's their unrepresentative sentiment we see.

The state of the "slight advantage we've given to English speakers" has
been massively underestimated: The advantage has been overwhelming. Not
only this, we've given a huge advantage to English speaking *mappers, *
although the results of the survey largely deals with *map data* in other
parts of the world. So although we now know that English speaking mappers
want (when asked to participate in a survey designed to bolster the views
of the DWG), we have learnt nothing about what local map *users* want.

My conclusion was that, when asking a group of mappers, largely uninvolved
in paid or organised mapping, "63% said that a policy should apply to
both". I'm not sure how useful this is.

The whole thing, I think, is completely unrepresentative of the global OSM
community,

Best, Joseph