[Osmf-talk] DWG survey on organized editing

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Oct 18 12:05:10 UTC 2017

Joseph,

On 18.10.2017 12:19, Joseph Reeves wrote:
> So although we now know that English speaking
> mappers want (when asked to participate in a survey designed to bolster
> the views of the DWG), we have learnt nothing about what local map
> /users/ want.

The big thing about OSM has always been to overcome the gap between map
makers and map users.

Historically you had a few who would make the maps, and a powerless
majority who would just consume the maps that others made for them.

OpenStreetMap started because the consumers were unhappy with their
options, and became makers themselves. We got rid of the "powerless
consumer" in mapping. That's our big success. Everyone is a mapper in
OSM, and OSM is rightfully owned by its mappers - without mappers, no OSM.

I think your distinction between mappers and users is dangerous; our
success comes from the removal of that distinction and we should be
careful not to introduce it again.

Bye
Frederik