[Osmf-talk] Status of corporate editing policy survey

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Mon Sep 18 13:48:13 UTC 2017

If someone maps gas stations of his company, or the ATMs of his bank, or
hotels of a hotel chain and areas surrounding them, etc., it also makes
her/him a kind of a corporate editor.

I add sometimes objects at another map, a commercial one, where an edit
may appear on the map only weeks later, after it has been approved by a
professional mapper. I hope it will not come to this at the OSM, that
these "organized" editors will not receive a special status or privileges.

More developed countries have got more data per area and per inhabitant
at the map database, but it works in opposite way too, - the better the
map the more economic opportunities open on a land. So, in a way, anyone
who works on a map of a region could be considered a professional mapper
, as she/he also works with a long-term benefit in mind.

However, being closer to the offices where decisions are made, the
"organized" mappers have got a strong advantage in politics. I saw it at
the above mentioned commercial map, where editing was closed either
completely or partially after some silly vandalism joke but only for all
"non-professional" mappers.

Best regards,
Oleksiy