[Osmf-talk] sponsored membership

joost schouppe joost.schouppe at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 17:01:45 UTC 2017

My suggestion comes from the idea that we can just go ahead and do this,
while waiting for a more thoughtful "membership waiver program".

The first-come-first-served principle drops the need for head breaking
thoughts about who is worthy and who isn't. Lets not forget that who is
worthy now is decided by their access to hard cash. I do not understand why
someone without money should be more worthy than someone who has money.

I don't think we have to worry too much about long waiting lists. Last time
I checked, I didn't see hordes waiting at the door. But even if there are
much more candidates than funds, that just gives us another nice funding
drive argument, or in the worst case a lesson learned.

As for the risk that we don't have enough money next year, yes, that's a
risk. We could just do a new donation drive the next year. And if not,
their membership expires. Or maybe by then they can apply for a fully
fledged membership waiver program.