[Osmf-talk] [OSM-talk] GDPR introduction

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Tue Apr 17 16:23:44 UTC 2018

Am 17.04.2018 um 15:10 schrieb Andrew Harvey:

> Thank you those in the LWG that have put this paper together. My
> thoughts are OSM's ODBL license grants me the right to publish a
> version of http://hdyc.neis-one.org/ open to the public, not
> restricted to OSM users. Reading this, I understand the OSMF is
> proposing to introduce Terms of Use which take away my rights to use
> the OpenStreetMap data in ways that were okay last month, in order to
> comply with an EU specific law.

The OSMF is not doing anything of the sort, our licence has always only
covered copyright and related rights, and has always been mum on many
other areas (for example it explicitly does not apply to trademark and
patent rights), just as essentially all other open data licences.

What is happening is that the lawmaker is saying that there are certain
types of processing of our data that are regulated. What we are
proposing is to make it relatively easy for the majority of data
consumers to avoid data protections issues completely and to find a
workable, not too complicated, way for those that actually want/need to
process the full data to fulfil their legal obligationsĀ  (which exist
completely regardless of what we do or not) and limit the exposure of
potentially problematic information as far as possible.

> Would that eliminate all options for someone outside the EU to publish
> something likeĀ http://hdyc.neis-one.org/ but open to the public?

The GDPR applies to anybody either in the EU or processing data of EU
residents, there is no reason that you can't run a hdyc like site
outside of the EU (it would likely have to be in a country for which an
equivalence determination has been made), as long as you adhere to the
relevant regulations.

Simon