[Osmf-talk] [OSM-talk] GDPR introduction

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 13:46:51 UTC 2018

sent from a phone

> On 18. Apr 2018, at 19:18, Kathleen Lu <kathleen.lu at mapbox.com> wrote:
>
> Unfortunately, this would not help retroactively with edits made before the policy went in place. Also, with a consent model, the user would still have the right to request deletion, which would mean we would need the technical ability to make these types of metadata non-public on a user-by-user level, upon request.

it could be done like the license change, if you don’t agree with the distribution of metadata for your edits, your (user value) would be wiped from the objects and changesets, and you won’t be able to continue contributing.

It’s a bit pointless anyway to ask for retroactive deletions, because the data is already distributed.

Is there a list of countries that have (not) made agreements with the EU on this? Without a contract there is no way this law could be enforced outside the jurisdiction (as any law). We could distribute 2 versions, an EU version and one to work with.

I would still argue we don’t collect personal information, because the usernames are pseudonyms and without external references and knowledge there is no way to prove who someone is (unless they tell you, maybe).

cheers,
Martin