[Osmf-talk] Next OSMF board meeting this Thursday, 16th of August, at 21:00 London time

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Aug 20 12:02:54 UTC 2018

Hi,

On 20.08.2018 12:08, Christoph Hormann wrote:
>> Personally, I feel it's a big difference. We haven't checked in the
>> past, but our current rules say that the meeting is open to OSMF
>> members, which excludes anonymous listeners. This means I usually
>> know the people who are listening in. That's wholly different from
>> speaking into a microphone to an unknown audience and making a
>> recording for eternity. Next thing you ask is a video chat and I
>> can't even do board meetings in my Pyjamas any more ;)
>
> Well - i think in this point you are mixing unrelated things

Yes, my last sentence was intended to be funny, please don't ignore the
previous sentences just because you didn't approve of the joke in the
last sentence. I've quoted them in full for your convenience.

> Wouldn't you like a different option to listen in to the
> meetings than standing up in the middle of the night?

I think that the ability to listen to a discussion that has happened in
the past and where you can't contribute is, while not totally worthless,
not valuable enough to justify the downsides that I see. What "people
would like" has to be judged against the cost, and I fear that the cost
of a permanent and public recording would be a reduction in the
willingness to speak freely.

> In a way this problem might resolve itself in the future if at some
> point we manage to elect a board consisting of geographically more
> diverse members distributed more evenly around the globe and when you -
> to ensure fairness within the board - would either need to forego
> synchronous meetings alltogether or rotate the time of the meeting to
> also rotate the time zone awkwardness.

A bridge that we'll cross when we come to it. Any form of time zone
"awkwardness" of course reduces the effectiveness of the meeting, and
should be avoided if at all possible. I hope that if we should at one
point have members from America AND Europe AND Asia, we'll at least have
a suitable combination of early risers or night owls that lets us find a
time that works for all, rather than having to have board meetings that
are always shit for at least one board member but at least shittyness is
evenly distributed ;)

Bye
Frederik