[Osmf-talk] [OSM-talk] Candidate's views? Re: Board decision on Crimea complaint

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 15:39:26 UTC 2018

On Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 10:02 PM Imre Samu <pella.samu at gmail.com> wrote:

> TLDR:  We need focusing for the customizable vector tiles for the next
> year!    (  Less community fighting - more working on the real problems!  )

Vector tiles and customizable styling is not enough. AFAIK, we never use
3rd-party data (except for the public domain Natural Earth data for the
lower zoom levels, IIRC) when rendering the default tile layer on the OSM.
So we still need to represent the various viewpoints on disputed borders
and territories within the OSM database itself if you want that level of
flexibility on the default tile layer(s). There are already a couple or so
threads on the Tagging mailing list discussing various tagging solutions
for representing these viewpoints and disputes.

~Eugene