[Osmf-talk] [OSM-talk] Candidate's views? Re: Board decision on Crimea complaint

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Tue Dec 11 15:50:23 UTC 2018

On Tuesday 11 December 2018, Rihards wrote:
> > And here you are disqualifying yourself from the discussion because
> > you essentially reject the possibility that OSM can function as a
> > cross cultural, cross ideology project to document the verifiable
> > geography of the world.  If you don't think that is possible and
> > think that OSM when mapping the world has to take a political side
> > maybe OSM is not the right project for you.  Because that is the
> > most fundamental idea behind our project.
>
> Christoph, you have been on the receiving end, people suggesting you
> should be disqualified from discussion because of your aggressive
> comments. I disagreed with those people, and I disagree with your
> attack about being "disqualified" in this case.

Please don't mix up discourse based on arguments and reasoning with use
of communication style arguments to shut down or discredit inconvenient
voices.  I have no problem with the tone of Vladimir's statements and i
did not in any way imply i have.

I would very much welcome any actual arguments that OSM cannot map the
on-the-ground verifiable geography without taking sides in political
questions but i re-emphasize that making a dogmatic claim to that end
without actual arguments and reasoning disqualifies from the
discussion.

Until such arguments are provided and convince me i will continue to say
that advocating the on-the-ground rule and the concept of verifiability
for all data in OSM - including administrative boundaries - is not a
political statement, it is a statement of support for the fundamental
values of OpenStreetMap and as i have said repeatedly already in the
past this seems quite evidently the only basis on which OSM can hope to
accomplish its goal to map the world geography in its diversity based
on local knowledge of the people living in it.

Also note that this part of the discussion which has no connection to
the board decision on the appeal to the DWG decision any more does not
belong in osmf-talk.  This is a matter for the whole OSM community to
discuss and not just the OSMF members.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/