[Osmf-talk] Board members with similar background

Paul Norman paul.norman at osmfoundation.org
Wed Dec 12 23:12:10 UTC 2018

On 2018-12-12 2:41 p.m., Frederik Ramm wrote:
> On 12/12/18 22:15, Paul Norman wrote:
>> As someone who has a professional connection to OSM, I'd go farther and
>> say that most board members shouldn't have any professional connection
>> to OSM. We're a crowd-sourcing project, and most of the crowd isn't
>> doing this for a job.
> I would like to echo this & what Christoph said, and call Tobias' idea
> of "max one board member per organisation" not ambitious enough.
>
> I've now been a board member for many years (I have already announced
> not to stand for election again but depending on the choices made by
> other board members you will likely still enjoy my board presence for
> one or two years more). Before I joined, I was staunchly against
> businesspeople on the board, and in board elections agitated against
> anyone who had a business connection to OSM. Of course I was in OSM
> business too, and hence disqualified myself from standing for a board
> position.

Yes, I was thinking of your stance, which I agree with in principle. In
practice I'm not sure how it'd work.

> [board members] would all mainly be people with a corporate background and it would show.

It does show with the current board, where 6/7 members have had a work
connection with OSM during their time on the board. Board members, like
everyone else, view issues through the lens of their experience, and
their experience is not representative of the mapping community.