[Osmf-talk] Humanitarian work

John Whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 20:18:33 UTC 2018

I think from both party's point of view it would be better if we worked
a little more closely.  The pub meeting fourteen years ago set up the
framework and how OpenStreetMap should work as far as nodes and ways are
concerned.  The core were people who understood the need for accurate
data and without that meeting HOT would not exist as it does today.

In Nepal there was a lot of mapping done that had to be cleaned up
afterwards and I think that was a concern raised locally.

Currently in the Ebola crisis there is concern about the quality of
building mapping.

In Africa generally the quality of some imports and mapping is such that
it would generate outrage if done in a German city.

Far from HOT being the boogyman on the OSM lists it seems to me that
OSM/OSMF is treated as the boogeyman by HOT for trying to maintain the
quality of the map.

HOT I think concentrates on mapping to fill a specific request by a
specific NGO.  OpenStreetMap works best by combining different mappers
with different interests to produce a map for everyone.

Humanitarian work is not just done by the Red Cross.  Smaller
organisations make use of OSM, I think one is a very small Belgian
charity that installs water wells.  Just two or possibly three a year by
water engineers in their vacation time.  These are far too small for a
HOT project but they are important users of OSM.

We're seeing delivery services servicing areas that were unmapped before
and they are paying mappers to map the roads.  They make money, their
customers have a wider range of goods at lower prices available.  Many
of these customers are in the income level that the NGOs try to improve
their income.  It's happening without a charity being involved.

OpenStreetMap is used for many purposes and accuracy helps.

Cheerio John

--
Sent from Postbox