[Osmf-talk] Conflict of interest (was: Remarks and question regarding board meeting minutes and circulars)

Kate Chapman kate at maploser.com
Wed Dec 19 04:09:55 UTC 2018

Thanks for this treatise Frederik. I agree with what you have laid out as
far as the challenges and issues.

I am for creation of a Conflict of Interest Policy to lay things out.
Lately it seems Conflict of Interest comes up always with a specific topic.
In my previous experience it is easy to not focus on one specific decision
or topic of the board in creation of a policy. That said it does mean we
need to focus and develop a policy and not just let things wait.

Regarding the process being intrusive. I see two things there.

1. Some board members know each other better than others. So there is often
a gap in information when determining a COI. Hence the need for discussion
and making sure the whole board has the needed information.
2. I know there has been some pressure not to have these discussions in a
closed session of the board, but I think that helps things feel less like a
privacy issue and also hopefully allows the board members to speak more
openly.

-Kate