[Osmf-talk] OSMF board face to face meeting (F2F) facilitation.

Mikel Maron mikel.maron at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 10:40:11 UTC 2018

I'll also add that Gunner has supported the last 3 OSMF Board F2F meetings with remote guidance to us on how to structure a collectively set agenda, and self facilitated meeting.

This starts with a short questionnaire to each Board member with some reflective questions like "what would be the most important things for the *board as a whole* to achieve at this event?" and "what topics do you think board members are most likely to disagree on or desire to debate?". We then group the responses by topic areas, identify collective top priorities, and figure out best format to tackle each. This broadly takes the form of exercises that help with idea generation and identification of common goals, and time to work deeply on a topic towards an end. Everything is obsessively documented for ourselves, and we put focus on capturing actions at the end (Dorothea has been very helpful with this). We've been intending to share notes from last year, but I think just need to make a final review to not disclose anything that's sensitive in nature (these are rare). In the mean time, Peter has written up reviews of the past years on the OSM blog.
One of the most helpful pieces of guidance are things like the "rule of 1", "rule of N". Only one person speaks at a time, and everyone gives them full attention. And in a group of N people, you individually should aim to speak 1/N of the time. Part of Peter's parting recommendations to the Board is that we adopt the rule of N in our meetings and email communication (maybe we should do the same here on osmf-talk ;).
I've taken on the responsibility to coordinate the preparation for Board meetings the past 3 years. It's a lot of work to both do this coordination, and participate fully in the meeting itself. While the 5 of us who have continued on the Board this year are very well practiced at this structure of Board F2F meeting, I think we all agree that for this year we'd like external help.
Concerning cultural diversity, I have experienced Gunner's facilitation in some of the most diverse groups of people imaginable -- digital activists from every corner of the world. He is extremely skilled at creating a space where everyone feels ready willing and able to take part.
If we were able to align schedules with Gunner, he'll serve us extremely well. There are other people to consider as well.  As Frederik said, we haven't even gotten to that point yet.
Mikel
ps As you can imagine, there are other perspectives on the purpose and methods of Gunner's support to HOT, but I feel no need to go into it here.

* Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron