[Osmf-talk] [OSM-talk] "The Future of Free and Open-Source Maps" Slashdot.org , Saturday February 17, 2018

Dan S danstowell+osm at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 16:22:27 UTC 2018

Hi Sean,

I hope you don't mind me saying: this seems a bit of a diversion -
there are lots of discussions about how to get-and-keep *mappers*
onboard, and also separate (endless!) discussions about tagging
standards, but this thread is/was mostly about how we move from nice
ideas to actual changes in OSM infrastructure. Heather's list of
suggestions (which you replied to) was about how to get-and-keep
*software developers* onboard. For example, I've contributed small
amounts of html/js/css to the main website, but it took a long time
for me to find any way of being able to contribute anything useful (I
know nothing about ruby on rails). A nice behind-the-scenes example is
that Andy Allan has been doing lots of refactoring of the Rails code
in order to modernise it and make it easier for new contributors to
work with.

Best
Dan