[Osmf-talk] Administrative Assistant position, renewal of contract

Martijn van Exel martijn at osmfoundation.org
Fri Jan 12 21:54:25 UTC 2018

Hi all,

Our administrative assistant, Dorothea, has worked with the Board and various Working Groups for almost two years now. Her annual contract is almost up, and we plan to extend it for another year. We believe that having this paid position has made significant positive impact on the functioning of the OSM Foundation. Specifically:

* The Board has drastically improved its transparency by way of much improved minutes and other reporting.[1]
* The Board has had more time to focus on more initiatives, and has been able to use the time they have more efficiently. To give two examples: we were able to sign on 3 new Local Chapters, and 7 new Corporate Members (worth €53k annually). Dorothea was instrumental in improving the processes and communication enabling this.
* Internal Board procedures are now much better documented, further contributing to our functioning.
* Dorothea oversaw the SotM scholarship program, which was a success: we enabled 15 community members from all over the world to connect with the global OSM community.
* The Legal WG has benefited from Dorothea's administrative help, and she has assisted MWG as well, most notably with running the OSMF board elections.

There may be other WGs that could benefit from Dorothea's help. If this turns out to be the case, we will consider increasing the number of hours on the contact.

The extension of Dorothea's contract will be voted on during the next OSMF board meeting, on January 18. We welcome your feedback on the above before then. You can email us at board at osmfoundation.org as usual.

Best,
Martijn

[1] See for example the annual reports Dorothea prepared: https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_Minutes/Overview_201712 and https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/OSMF_overview_201712, but please also continue to follow our regular Board meeting minutes, which have become much more informative!