[Osmf-talk] OSM and open data global aerial/sat images

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 11:51:18 UTC 2018

> On Monday 15 January 2018, John Gilmore wrote:
> >
> > Planet Labs has already released all their California satellite
> > imagery under a CC-BY-SA license [...]
>
> Actually no - while they have claimed to have done this there is no
> imagery actually available under such a license

and even if there was, we couldn't use it as source for OSM, due to the
share alike provisions of cc-by-sa.

Besides that everyone should know that Planet Labs is a persistent OSM
> license violator:
>

> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Lacking_proper_attribution

btw., there are cases of missing attribution on this list that date back to
2009 and still don't provide attribution as of now. Is there any case of a
user of OSM data with missing attribution, where after reasonable time some
measures have been undertaken by the OSMF to stop the infringing use, or
"force" the user to attribute? After all, as individual contributors can't
sue any more since the license change in 2012, I believe the OSMF would
have to act somehow in these persistent cases? The current OSMF mandate if
for distributing the data under the ODbL, so attribution clearly is a legal
requirement.

Cheers,
Martin