[Osmf-talk] OSM for Business Purpose

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Mon Jul 2 13:54:09 UTC 2018

On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 2:47 AM Md Shahriar Alam <shahriar.nits at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
> A well known company is asking me that they want to use OSM in their
> tracking software instead of Google map. Even They will make a team of
> employees to develop OSM map. Things they want are:
> 1.  To keep using OSM free of cost even in future also if OSM decides to
> charge for commercial operation.

OSM data is free now and in the future. The ODbL licence precludes
changing. However, operating OSM isn't without costs. We will gladly accept
donations.

2.  To be permanent user of OSM and contributor with monthly map update by
> mapper team of that company.

The company should read the Directed Edits Policy [1] While it is still a
draft policy, it is a good framework to start operating under. The company
should strive to become a valued community member by engaging with the
local community in Bangladesh. They certainly should be active on whatever
communication platform the local community uses. They can even go so far as
help organize local mapping parties. If they are not familiar with OSM
editing and tagging I would strongly suggest hiring a local community
member to train the employees how to edit.

3.  Will have the authorization to make business on this zone (Bangladesh
> and Surrounding Area).

I don't understand 3 above. What do you mean by "authorization to make
business?" Can you explain what that means?

[1] https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Directed_Editing_Policy

Best,
Clifford
--