[Osmf-talk] OSMF-owned engine for social surveys (WAS: Board meeting tomorrow?)

joost schouppe joost.schouppe at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 14:00:36 UTC 2018

Hi Michael,

For context, this was first proposed and discussed in December:
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2017-December/004778.html

Then I formally proposed it:
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2018-January/004995.html
(with very little reaction, but enthousiasm from another board member)

Then the SotM working group wanted to do the community survey for the
program. They suggested to go ahead and do it, and the OWG was involved. As
time was really short, in the end we just went with buying an instance for
this survey: https://stateofthemap.limequery.org/985188
So right now we actually have an OSMF owned instance, but not at the
kind-of-logical MWG but at SotM-WG.

On the science list, there was also a proposal to use a different engine:
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/science/2018-February/000005.html
(while interesting, it is not exactly what is needed for most things we had
in mind)

With an OSMF owned instance, there is the possibilty to integrate with
existing databases. E.g. we could use the OSMF membership list as a basis
for a poll (even if only to ask "is it OK if we send you a poll?"), or if
we dream a little to send invites through the OSM messaging system (which
we could feasibly do manually now if the number of respondents is not too
big).

I'm a bit reluctant to trade a very complete and well-maintained package
for a software which wasn't worked on for a few years. The feature you
describe is interesting, but I don't think it's impossible to get to
similar outcomes within the LimeSurvey package. I'm not married to the
product, but it looks like I would be the probable volunteer to manage the
thing and it's use, and I would prefer to use something that I have
experience in, is widely used and has guaranteed support. Still the
it4workflow thing could be interesting for some use cases too.

So I guess the agenda for the board is to decide:
- do they want this
- how do they want this
- who should manage it

If the first step is "yes", then it probably goes back to the working
groups. Since there isn't really a fitting working group, and I'm on the
MWG, it could be something that is officially MWG but in practice me for
now.
Anyway, just my take on what might work, it's up to the board of course :)

> Hi,
>
> Am 14.03.2018 um 17:46 schrieb Dorothea Kazazi:
> > The preliminary agenda is at:
> > https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Board/Minutes/2018-03-15
> > (brief descriptions to be added)
>
> Thank you for the headlines.
>
> Board/Minutes/2018-03-15 writes:
> > OSMF-owned engine for social surveys
>
> Does this mean that the board wants to discuss to run its own instance
> of LimeSurvey?
>
> Harald Hartmann, a German mapper, developed a tool called
> "Umfrageplattform" (survey platform) just to be used for surveys among
> OSM contributors. It was used by the German OSM community for a few
> surveys in 2015/2016.
>
> There is currently no running instance. However, the tool has one
> advantage: Users have to authenticate with OSM OAuth, i.e. only users
> with an OSM account can participate. That's why the tool is able to
> display the voting results for each HDYC level separately (a nice
> mechanism to prevent large sock puppet attacks but with downsides w.r.t.
> privacy if too few users participate)
>
> https://github.com/it4workflow/osmpoll
>
> I wonder how difficult it would be to limit a LimeSurvey survey to OSM
> contributors.
>
> Best regards
>
> Michael
>

> --