[Osmf-talk] Voting "recommendations" by employers (straw poll)

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Nov 1 23:36:00 UTC 2018

Hi,

On 02.11.2018 00:10, Christoph Hormann wrote:
> On Thursday 01 November 2018, Clifford Snow wrote:
>> [...] The worst thing you can do is to say
>> to the community, "I've heard rumors of..." That's total
>> inappropriate, especially for a Board member.

> I hope you are aware that this is not what Frederik said.

To clarify: I have not heard rumours, I have heard two people with my
own ears say that this was the case. But whether or not it really
happened does not matter at all.

It is not my intention to point fingers at anyone or start an
investigation into alleged misbehaviour. My intention is first and
foremost, to find out where the community stands on this. Whether this
behaviour, if it were to happen, even *were* misbehaviour.

Then, if it *should* be the case that the community has a strong
opinion, we should simply create a statement that expresses the opinion
of the community - case closed.

In the absence of concrete guidance about what is acceptable and what is
not, it is easy for people to make the wrong call, even with the best
intentions. One person wants to do something good for OSM, and the other
person shouts "Oi! This is outrageous!".

As long as you deal with individuals, you tend to assume some automatic
set of shared values - maybe "common decency". But this rapidly
deteriorates in the business world, and cannot be relied upon when
dealing with corporate actors. Just look at Google which was started by
a few people with the best intentions and "Don't be evil" as a motto -
how long does this fly in a dog-eat-dog marketplace?

So all I'm saying - if we agree on values, let's write them down so that
everyone knows and there are no surprises.

This is not a discussion about whether or not there are "bad actors" or
even who the bad actors are. This is *only* to find out if we agree on
what good and bad behaviour is, then write it down.

Bye
Frederik