[Osmf-talk] Voting "recommendations" by employers (straw poll)

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Fri Nov 2 09:49:17 UTC 2018

I'm not surprised.

We've deliberately constructed the OSMF so that it is easy to join and
you can do so practically anonymously, this is a good thing, and I would
never want to replace it with a different system, be it the self-elected
elite in HOT or the democracy a la carte of the WMF.

It was always clear, even before we "fixed" the issues with OSMF
membership back in 2013, that the system could be gamed, and if anything
is surprising then it is solely the lack of finesse in doing so. The
only reasonable way to address this can be to increase the membership of
completely normal mappers and make the OSMF more representative of the
people that actually create OpenStreetMap.

A word to our organisational and corporate stake holders:  you do
realize that one of the major reasons that we have a "tiny" OSMF is
because lots of people were and continue to be concerned that an OSMF
that does more and is even slightly larger would become an effective
tool of corporate control of the project. You are just proving them
right. Take a step back and reconsider what you are doing. Would you not
be better served by attaching less strings to your involvement and not
trying to form OSM as you believe would best suit your short term interests?

Simon