[Osmf-talk] Voting "recommendations" by employers (straw poll)

Miriam Mapanauta mapanauta at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 16:09:53 UTC 2018

Not sure how it worlks in all coporations but my personal experience is
that I did not receive any pressure or voting suggestions from my previous
job, I joined OSMF because I personally care the direction of the OSM
project, I did not get any reimbursements and I was free to take any
decision concerned to OSMF.

Thanks,
Miriam
@mapanauta

On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 8:16 AM Rory McCann <rory at technomancy.org> wrote:

> If companies were open about this, I don't have a problem. OSMF members
> should be allowed to make recommendations. A company, or boss, should
> have to openly publish any "recommendations", rather than use internal
> company resources in secret. Transparency is important here.
>
> I don't think "paying for the membership fee" is a good yardstick.
> Banning that won't change a lot IMO. It's only ~€20, affordable to
> employees of big tech companies. Bosses can promise enough things in
> compensation.
>
> I'm curious if there is any communication between any company's doing
> this and the candidates. Do candidates every ask friends in companies to
> do this?
>
> --
> Rory, who is in the 'what did you expect' camp.
>
> On 01.11.18 20:44, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > recently two different people who used to work for (different) large
> > companies dealing with OSM told me that their employers regularly
> > suggested that everyone became an OSMF member, reimbursed them for the
> > membership fee, and also circulated "suggested voting" instructions for
> > the OSMF elections.
> >
> > (I have no idea if this is true and no way to verify it, but it doesn't
> > sound far-fetched. I'd be happy to hear if anyone has witnessed such
> > dynamics first-hand.)
> >
> > I've discussed this with a few people and the reactions ranged from
> > "this is outrageous" over "what did you expect" to "this is totally ok,
> > after all there's enough other people publishing their own voting
> > recommendations on the lists too".
> >
> > What's your opinion on this?
> >
> > I've tried my hand at setting up a "LimeSurvey" instance which asks the
> > question and if it works all right it will show some statistics directly
> > after you've replied:
> >
> > http://survey.gryph.de/index.php/528658?lang=en
> >
> > Though I am also interested in a more detailed discussion on the topic.
> > Is it an issue? Are there lessons to learn from other nonprofit
> > organisations?
> >
> > Bye
> > Frederik

Miriam