[Osmf-talk] Membership fee waiver

Paul Norman paul.norman at osmfoundation.org
Fri Nov 16 00:06:30 UTC 2018

On 2018-11-15 3:05 PM, Rob Nickerson wrote:
> >What's taken so long is a lack of people stepping forward to help.
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> Can you please explain what help is needed as I am struggling to
> understand. I have experience of the membership system (civicrm) used
> by OSMF: (1) because I used it when helping SotM, and (2) because I
> set a civicrm up for the OSM UK local chapter.

CiviCRM knowledge is useful for ongoing work and maintenance, but what
we need more is people to write the program. Experience evaluating
scholarships for financial need would be ideal, or experience designing
procedures would be ideal, but even just writing the messages we need to
send would be a help.

> For the waiver program:
> Within civicrm you can bulk add members by importing a spreadsheet.
> This could be a monthly task to keep workload to a minimum.

We've got a workflow for bank transfer members which we'll use for the
waiver members once we've checked that they qualify.

> For fee paying members:
> In civicrm it is now possible to allow members to select automatic
> renewal. We did this on the OSM UK local chapter and it's great. No
> chasing people to renew as civicrm and PayPal sort it automatic.
> Members can cancel the renewal anytime by logging in to their PayPal
> account.
>
> I hope this helps :-)

Automatic renewal would be nice, and if someone wanted to join and work
on that, that would be good too. It's not as high a priority as the fee
waiver.