[Osmf-talk] "Western Balkans"? Re: Fee Waiver Program announcement

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Fri Nov 16 09:01:57 UTC 2018

Thanks Paul.

One question: The country list on that page, and the linked PayPal
page[1], refers to "Western Balkans", which isn't a country.

Wikipedia[2] says "Western Balkans is a neologism coined to refer to
Albania and the territory of the former Yugoslavia less Slovenia". But
that includes Croatia, which is a member of the European Union! I
thought we were in a single market! Depending on your political
orientation, I've traveled (twice) in all, or nearly all, of those
countries, and 1 or 2 of those countries use the Euro. I don't remember
having a problem using my credit or debit card.

I'm not really opposed to granting everyone from there free membership
to the OSMF. Would it not be more respectful to list the country names
individually rather than lump them into one geographic neolingualism?

[1]
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/bigcommerce/security/prohibited-countries
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Balkans