[Osmf-talk] OSMF Membership Fee Waivers for Financial Hardship

Mikel Maron mikel.maron at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 18:44:12 UTC 2018

The minutes are provisional. I'll ask for those to be updated. If we accept 2018-11-15, we of course must accept future requests too.
The MWG form does not currently include a field to describe their activities, so we can't use it yet for financial hardship. Maybe we can quickly set up an additional form, or expand the current form, to manage both. That would be the best for applicants, I agree.

* Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron

    On Friday, November 16, 2018, 1:19:07 PM EST, Christoph Hormann <chris_hormann at gmx.de> wrote:

 On Friday 16 November 2018, Mikel Maron wrote:
> If the membership fee for OSMF is a financial burden, the OSMF Board
> will review any requests for a fee waiver from potential members.
> This is a temporary measure, while a full process is implemented (if
> you are interested to help, please let us know!) Below are details on
> the decision, how we'll handle applications from yesterday, and how
> to apply.
>
> To apply:
>     email board at osmfoundation.org, with your first and last name,
> country of residence, OSM id. Also please state that you are applying
> for fee waiver because of financial hardship, and give a short
> account of your activities in OpenStreetMap.

Could you please clarify on what exactly the board has decided by either
adjusting the minutes of the meeting, giving a statement about an
additional decision by the board or adjusting your instructions above.
Because the currently minuted board decision is:

"The membership fee waiver program has not been implemented yet.
However, today (2018-11-15) there was a flurry of emails sent to the
board and the Membership Working Group from people asking to join the
Foundation and the fee to be waived. The board will review the requests
and individually decide on the waiver. If approved, the membership join
date will be the date of the approval."

Which refers only to the requests made by email on 2018-11-15, not to
future requests.  My recollection of yesterday's discussion was that
for the future all applications for a waiver - no matter for what
reason - should go through the MWG form, which also makes a lot more
sense than to indefinitely manually process financial hardship
separately through mails to the board (which seems inefficient, not to
mention the various privacy implications).

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/