[Osmf-talk] OSMF Membership Fee Waivers for Financial Hardship

Felix Delattre felix at delattre.de
Sat Nov 17 01:26:35 UTC 2018

Thank you Mikel, the board, and all involved for making this possible!
I'm very happy about many people who care a lot about OSM, now, will
have more equal conditions to involve themselves in the foundation.

However, sharing this concrete message from the email below with OSM
community friends in impoverished countries, I found it a bit strong
message. What do you think about communicating this matter a bit more
welcoming? Maybe more in a direction like this:

> We want active contributors of OpenStreetMap to become members in the OpenStreetMap Foundation! For sustaining the basic services of OpenStreetMap.org, the regular membership includes a monetary contribution of £15 per year. This is an important support for the project. However this amount of money can be perceived differently: While for some it may be more like a symbolic amount, for others it can be a relevant part of the money they dispose. If OpenStreetMap matters to you, and you consider a smaller amount fairer, please write to board at osmfoundation.org in order to apply for membership. It is required to include your your first and last name, country of residence, OSM id and a brief reasoning. Be aware, the board will especially look at the activeness - in any of the many ways of contributing - over the last three months.

Just a suggestion. For sure it must be improved - especially the language. Just typed quickly on a Friday night on a small device :) (sorry)

Ciao,
Felix