[Osmf-talk] Official list of questions for board candidates for board member now available

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Mon Nov 19 18:33:11 UTC 2018

On Monday 19 November 2018, Michael Collinson wrote:

> This is a first time, so I welcome feedback publicly or privately to
> help assess and improve the process. Being self-critical, some of the
> original questions lose specificity.

This is more of a condensation/summary and less of an aggregation than i
anticipated.  This is a valid choice considering the goal of not
overwhelming the candidates etc.  But as you probably have seen quite a
few questions have been very specific (partly in a reaction to rather
vague answers of candidates in previous elections) and this specificity
is obviously often lost in your condensation.

I would encourage all candidates to also look at the original
questions - these are subjects as well as specific questions members
would like to know about the candidates formulated in the way they
perceive them.  Looking at the original questions can help you to
answer the official questions in a way that is helpful for the members
to make their election choice.  Don't waste your chances by just giving
minimal answers to the official questions.  I can't speak for others
but for me my voting decision will depend on the position of the
candidates on my questions - whether they are answered in your
manifesto, in your answers to the official questions, in some other way
or not at all.  And it matters if your answer is "i don't know yet"
or "i know but i'd rather not tell". :-)

Overall i think the original community questions this year are a
relatively balanced spectrum of topics and a good basis for candidates
to put together their platforms.  If this is primarily due to
the "regulated" procedure implemented this year or due to people having
refined their questioning approach from previous years i am not sure.

And it is exciting that we have seven different candidates from seven
different countries this year (which i think is the largest ratio of
candidates per seat ever.  For comparison - in 2015 we had 11
candidates from 9 countries for 4 seats).  So really a lot of choice
this year.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/