[Osmf-talk] Board decision on recent OSMF membership registrations

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Sat Nov 24 21:01:09 UTC 2018

On Saturday 24 November 2018, Heather Leson wrote:

> The important factor is that 100 members joined from India, a country
> with 1 BILLION people. This is exciting and I welcome them to be
> fully engaged and meet the community. I hope that they can get to
> know each of you and be part of the the community going forward.
>
> Members are members. I don't think that we should focus on where they
> work. I am not personally defined by my workplace.

I am sorry but this is nonsense and an insult to everyone who is working
for true diversity.  With a hundred registrations from the same IP why
do you even assume these are actual people? I could easily go over to
the membership registration form and register a dozen members from
wherever.  Would you like to welcome these members too?  Members are
members after all, right?

You as a board member are telling a large number OSMF members here who
every year pay their membership fee out of their own pocket and who
have to do this to have a say in the OSMF despite being active mappers
many investing time into the project several orders of magnitude above
that fee in addition as well as countless mappers from all over the
world who would like to have a say in how the OSMF is run but who
either due to lack of funds or due to language barriers (or both) are
so far not able to become a member and articulate their opinions that
they range in appreciation for you on the same level or lower (in case
they are not from a country like India) as a hundred membership
accounts registered during a single day from a corporate IP address?
Wow, that is quite a statement.

> > It seems to me these two arguments as stated are incompatible -
> > i.e. the reason against is based on the assumption that the reason
> > in favor is based on the assumption of ill intent - which based on
> > your description is not part of the reason in favor.
>
> Again, we really spent a full week discussing this topic. OSMF Board
> members are as diverse as the constituencies of OSM. This is what
> makes us special. We try to understand and meet the growing
> diversity.

Not that this has anything to do with what you replied to but i
challenge both the claim that the OSMF board is even close in diversity
to "the constituencies of OSM" in any sense of the meaning of that term
(which is a rather interesting choice of words by the way) and the
claim that there is "growing diversity" in the OSMF by any reasonable
measure.

> > Note the AoA put no requirements at all on the rejection of a
> > membership application.  In theory the board would be free to
> > reject an application just because they do not like the person
> > applying.  So the argument against seems to lack a solid basis.
>
> Membership of OSMF is by payment. This is the criteria. People paid
> to join and support the mandate and mission of OSMF. It seems to me
> that our role is to help them learn about OSMF and welcome them.

Have you actually read the AoA regarding the rejection of membership
applications?

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/