[Osmf-talk] Board decision on recent OSMF membership registrations

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Sun Nov 25 01:43:59 UTC 2018

On 2018-11-24 1:43 PM, Rob Nickerson wrote:
> 2. When it comes to the timezone, I would suggest counting your days
> according to the time you publish on the AGM notice. So if you make an
> AGM announcement in UTC, then use UTC days. Being a England&Wales
> company, the logical alternative is to announce in local time in
> London. In winter this is same as UTC. Combining this with 30 Clear
> days would have given the deadline for voting members as 23:59:59 UTC
> on 14th November 2018.

Thanks for the definitions. Given the history of our AoA and that it's a
definition similar to those for period of a notice, it seems clear that
the clear days definition is the most applicable. The end of the UTC day
on the 15th is unsupportable, and the 16:00 UTC on the 15th is
questionable, as well as not really possible with CiviCRM.

> 3. OSMF AoA [2] does allow you to expel members under article 17(4).
> Given that members need to be real people (or real companies for our
> corporate members), if found to be fake then there is a clear route
> for expulsion. I'm not sure how you determine if someone is real or
> not, but with over 100 members in one place, a visit in person seems
> like a reasonable idea - if only to welcome them on board and present
> about OSMF events and opportunities.

If the people are fake, then there's no need to expel them since the
memberships are invalid and can be deleted. I don't see any evidence
that the signups are fake. I searched the names and some appear
connected to OSM, and sometimes connected to their employer. Several are
workers or former workers at Mapbox and Global Logic.