[Osmf-talk] Board decision on recent OSMF membership registrations

Ivo Stankov ivo at e-stankov.com
Mon Nov 26 23:34:49 UTC 2018

On 26.11.18 г. 1:49 ч., Kate Chapman wrote:
> Regarding your statement of sock-puppets the board said above "All Board
> members are against the creation of artificial OSMF
> membership accounts." As stated by Paul " I don't see any evidence that
> the signups are fake." I did a similar search prior to voting and came
> to the same conclusion.

I'd like to avoid focusing entirely on the current incident (while,
clearly, 100 new members, registering from the same IP within a day, is
definitely an outlier and worth investigating, even just out of curiosity).

The wider point is that real humans can very well be "artificial
members" if they have zero personal interest in the project and are
members just because of the initiative and (monetary) incentive of an
interested group/business/organization/state/etc...

In Bulgaria, for example, selling one's vote for cash to the highest
bidder in a municipal or a state election has become mainstream amongst
some socially-vulnerable groups within the population. And there is no
lack of bidders! This has escalated to the point that nowadays every
political ad must end with the sentence: "Buying and selling votes is a
crime!"

The motivation behind becoming an OSMF member (or executing one's own
citizen rights, in my example) must not be ignored.

Otherwise, we potentially face the danger of invalidating the
contribution of the real members and the democratic process itself.