[Osmf-talk] Welcome Mat for Organizations

Miriam Mapanauta mapanauta at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 20:54:36 UTC 2018

I would like to congratulate all the people to participated in time +
efforts +  ideas  for having available this welcoming package. I had the
change to participate in multiple talks, meetings and mapathons and in my
presentations I share some examples of who (Governments, Companies,
organizations, Universities, etc) is using OSM but having this is a formal
website will make things easier and simpler to share. I am very happy to
see it and I will be glad to help coordinate the translations in Spanish
and Portuguese with the support of the OSM LATAM community.

Thanks again!

Miriam
@mapanauta

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 1:35 PM Austin Zhu <austinzhu666 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Just want to mention that the Electronic map service, Tianditu, operated
> by National Geomatics Center of China, also uses OpenStreetMap like the way
> Baidu maps do.
>
> Maybe you can add it to the list, and here is the link
> http://map.tianditu.gov.cn
>
> Regards,
> Austin
>
> On Thu, Nov 29, 2018, 04:22 Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 11/28/18 12:02, Christoph Hormann wrote:
>> > On a more general note it was always my assumption that maintainence of
>> > this would be turned over to the OSM community once the first version
>> > is done.
>>
>> The idea was started on the OSMF board of directors in a face-to-face
>> meeting long ago; we never discussed who should be maintaining it after
>> it was published, and it was certainly never our shared or stated
>> intention to have the advisory board develop or maintain it.
>>
>> The advisory board is likely not the right group to explain to
>> businesses and other organisations what the community wants, and doesn't
>> have the structure to take editorial control of a site like that - who
>> on the AB would have commit rights and how would the AB decide?
>>
>> In terms of accountability and transparency the AB is weaker than the
>> average OSM body; there's a high danger of a dominant person or group in
>> the AB simply deciding what they want and the others wouldn't even
>> notice. As is indeed proven here where some people say that the AB "took
>> the lead on this" and others on the AB weren't aware.
>>
>> On the other side I don't want to ask the DWG to do stuff they're not
>> asking for themselves.
>>
>> Bye
>> Frederik
>>
>> --