[Osmf-talk] Draft Terms of use for the OSM website, API and other services

Kathleen Lu kathleen.lu at mapbox.com
Wed Sep 19 18:28:26 UTC 2018

Hi Christoph,
Let me give it a try.
The Contributor Terms emphasize that while the contributor believes they
have the right to contribute under the licence in the Contributor Terms
(section 1.a), they are not guaranteeing that they have the rights or that
what they contribute is 100% correct (section 6). (Limit on OSMF suing a
contributor for mistakenly submitting contributions that are subject to
someone else's copyright.)
The Terms of Use emphasize that *OSMF* will not be responsible for what
users (including contributors) do, whether that's IP, or local laws, or
getting lost using the map. (Limits on users and contributors suing OSMF)
The Terms of Use also cover other things that users or contributors might
do that is harmful outside of submitting contributions, such as DOS
attacks, mass deleting the wiki, stalking someone, etc. These issues aren't
covered by the Contributor Terms at all, and the Terms of Use emphasize
that users are responsible if they do any of these things.
So the two sets of Terms do emphasize different things, but they are
consistent.
Best,
Kathleen