[Osmf-talk] Access to documentation of the decisions of the face-to-face meeting

Mikel Maron mikel.maron at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 10:21:17 UTC 2019

Hi Christoph
Probably someone else on the Board is better able to explain how our face to face meetings work. The blog post following the F2F might be helpful too [https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2019/05/28/osmf-board-face-to-face-meeting-2019/].
But essentially, the F2F functions as an extended discussion and brainstorming session, without formal minutes or decisions being made. If there was a need for a formal meeting or decision, we would either have dedicated time in person to that, or organized a circular vote following the meeting. Many of the sessions revolve around sticky note brainstorming exercises, and these we recorded and stashed in rough form in our wiki (thank you Dorothea!). They don't really make sense on their own. We have already processed some of the discussions into a more shareable form -- like the sessions on surveys in the OSMF blog [https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2019/06/13/surveying-openstreetmap/]. Probably the closest we get to "decisions" is assigning an action to undertake work among Board members, and you'll see those reflected in the recent formal Board minutes (or that's been our intention, we may need to do a bit more work to organize those).
Regarding microgrants, in Brussels we didn't go into much detail, only noting that work had stalled, that the idea is still valid, and that someone should take up action to revive. The most recent substantial activity on microgrants was a report back on this mailing list summarizing feedback we got to very rough plans we shared last year [https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2018-October/005334.html].
Joost and I took on the action to revive microgrants. We met on Monday to assess all the previous work and figure out what's needed next. We resolved to draft public documentation of the program, highlighted with outstanding questions and options, and then present this at the next Board meeting later this month. Fingers crossed we have capacity to follow through, and will share something with OSMF Members and Board soon.
-Mikel

* Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron