[Osmf-talk] OSM and OSMF - How do we (want to) operate?

Wolfgang Zenker wolfgang at lyxys.ka.sub.org
Wed Aug 7 22:26:51 UTC 2019

One problem with learning from other organizations is that OSM is a
rather unique kind of thing. Most open source projects or NGOs that I
participate in are structured quite differently. However, there is one
project that has some similarity, namely the RIPE community and the RIPE
NCC. RIPE is part of the internet operations community and is part of
the "Internet Self Regulation". There are basically two parts:
- The RIPE community is not a formal organization; any individual who
  joins discussions/meetings/working groups is part of the community.
  The community is open to all interested individuals. The community
  defines policies in its working groups.
- The RIPE NCC is a membership organization under Dutch law; all LIRs
  (Local Internet Registries - basically any organization administering
  IP-addresses for themselfes or for their customers) are required to be
  members of RIPE NCC. Non-LIRs can also be members, but are a minority.
  RIPE NCC has paid full time staff that is tasked with implementing
  policy as set by the community, running the registry database, doing
  administrative work etc.

RIPE has recently performed a review of its accountability which has
been published at https://www.ripe.net/publications/docs/ripe-723/
Looking at that document might give some ideas about possible approaches
that OSM could use to keep OSM as a community project that is neither
dominated by private interests of corporations nor by those individuals
that simply manage to be the most vocal people in discussions.

* Oleksiy Muzalyev <oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch> [190517 09:54]: