[Osmf-talk] Local Chapters criteria

Gregory nomoregrapes at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 9 14:27:08 UTC 2019

Simon, maybe I worded it badly but the LC application process does involve
competing groups so the FAQ should reflect that.

Other attempts at wording...
Objections from competing groups that claim to represent the community will
need to be addressed.
Existing/competing LCs cannot exist unless there is a mutual understanding
between that LC and the applying one.

I agree we don't want to rewarded bad behaviour. Thank you for pointing out
how that could happen.
A counter-example of bad behaviour would be that a group of mappers
communicate in a country but haven't formalised. It may be difficult to
setup a small organisation because some places require a lot of paperwork
financial costs/commitment. Then a company or university comes along and
tries to register with OSMF as a Local Chapter, they might even have 100
members/staff. The OSMF would want to know about the community that says
the LC applicant doesn't represent them, they would want the LC to actually
represent the community including volunteers.

So this is currently a requirement.
It came up with OSM UK intending to represent Northern Ireland(part of the
UK) and British Isles(not all part of the UK). We had resolved it by saying
those places could be represented twice. It came up again when OSM Ireland
applied to be an LC (as they wanted to represent Republic of Ireland and
Northern Ireland. We confirmed the previous agreement and it was resolved.

I suppose you potentially bring up the question of how an LC can lose it's
status. Can this be done by a community (or collection of OSMF members)
declaring that the LC does not represent the local community?
Hmm, would it have to be that the LC stops being democratic and therfore
breaks the terms?.

Gregory.

On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 at 16:13, Simon Poole <simon at poole.ch> wrote:

> Am 29.07.2019 um 15:47 schrieb Gregory:
>
> The FAQ should be updated to include an existing requirement... (I don't
> know where the wording is)
> An existing/competing community group cannot exist.
>
> I would consider that a far too large contraint, essentially granting a
> third party without any standing with the OSMF, exclusive rights in the
> exchange for nothing.
>

> This in some way puts an established requirement on LCs. I can't go to
> America, set up "USA Mappers" and become an OSMF chapter tomorrow because
> "OSM US" is more established and could argue it better represents the local
> community (despite not applying for OSMF chapter status itself).
>
> Which is one of the examples why this should not be done. Essentially you
> are rewarding bad behaviour, the years and years and years of stringing
> along, with what were obviously completely invented excuses, just to
> improve their leverage..
>
> Simon
>

> OSM UK was not a legal entity for very long before applying for chapter
> status, good example. It could be said that it formed out of the OSMF (and
> UK members) which might be a preferred or likely case for future chapters.
> I think we now have a large number of members that are not OSMF members
> because we have grown and done well with our aims to represent
> OpenStreetMap locally.
>
> The UK might also be taken as an example of regions. The definition of UK
> vs Great Britain vs British Isles is all specific & confusing. I think it
> was agreed we would represent the British Isles (which includes
> countries/governments beyond the UK) but allow other chapters/orgs to
> represent non-UK parts if they start up. This has allowed OSM Ireland to do
> their stuff (but we can work together in Northern Ireland which is part of
> the UK). For the small crown dependency countries, they have a more local
> organisation than the OSMF to contact if desired. Political boundaries are
> difficult and OpenStreetMap is not always limited to them.
>
> From near Hadrian's Wall,
> Gregory.
>
> On Wed, 24 Jul 2019, 16:41 Simon Poole, <simon at poole.ch> wrote:
>

>> Am 24.07.2019 um 15:30 schrieb Felix Delattre via osmf-talk:
>> > Hi all - sorry for the long email - skip it if you want.
>> >
>> > I'm wondering whether not all communities started using the name
>> > OSM+Country without asking OSMF before :)
>> >
>> > The local community I've been mostly involved in (OSM Nicaragua),
>> > emerged firstly by people coming together because we wanted to work on
>> > that open data map - we felt welcomed to do so. When we started
>> > organizing the first events a suitable name was needed. At that time we
>> > just combined OSM with the country name (similar we/people did with
>> > Debian Nicaragua, Drupal Nicaragua, …), we created a logo [1] and
>> > registered social media accounts (like [2]) and did everything to get
>> > people on board. We never asked for permission to use the OSM name with
> [...]

Gregory
osm at livingwithdragons.com
http://www.livingwithdragons.com