[Osmf-talk] Local Chapter application - Ireland

Guillaume Rischard openstreetmap at stereo.lu
Sat Aug 24 19:19:14 UTC 2019

I have seen for myself the good relations enjoyed by mappers across the border. Data, sources and methods are happily shared.

You’ll note that the logo of the Irish community shows the island, with no flag or political entities.

Northern Irish people have the right to get an UK passport, an Irish passport, or both. In the Olympics, Northern Irish athletes can compete on either the Irish team or Team GB. Scouting Ireland covers the whole island, and in Northern Ireland works in tandem with the Scouting Association of the UK. Other organisations like the Irish Rugby Football Union, the Anglican, Presbyterian and Catholic churches and even the Orange Order cover the whole island. You can bet the Orange Order doesn’t presume to be dominated by the Irish Republic!

I think the Irish application is fantastic. Suggesting that it presumes domination or is divisive is nonsense. Mappers in Northern Ireland can become members of the chapter that covers the island of Ireland, of the chapter that covers the UK, of the global OSMF, or a combination of these.

Guillaume