[Osmf-talk] Local Chapter application - Ireland

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Mon Aug 26 14:25:35 UTC 2019

On Monday 26 August 2019, Craig Allan wrote:

> My own response to the objection is that I don't believe that any
> discrimination on the basis of geography is warranted.
>
> I have a personal (if hypothetical) claim to be a member of both the
> Kenya and the South Africa local chapters and can't see why dual
> membership should be denied me. Similar logic applies for my Irish
> friends.

Is there any local chapter that has residence or citizenship in a
certain area as requirement for membership or that considers members of
a different local chapter to be non-eligible as members in their own
chapter?

In my understanding the spatial structure of the local chapters is less
for having some sort of spatial exclusivity but more to encourage and
ultimately possibly ensure that for every mapper there is adequate
representation in a local chapter.  So the requirement we might be
talking about in this specific case is more that the local chapters
should consider themselves obliged to represent any mapper from their
domain (no matter how they define it) who wants this representation.
This however can never mean that a local chapter can claim to speak for
all mappers within their domain - no matter how restrictive the
definition is.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/