[Osmf-talk] voting fraud

Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski me at komzpa.net
Fri Feb 1 10:28:03 UTC 2019

On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 11:00 AM Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> Komяpa,
>
> On 31.01.19 21:33, Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski wrote:
> > You can also spend similar money on OSMF membership and get another line
> > on CV, now OSM-related. Closest thing available.
>
> This is an interesting theory. It is plausible, but doesn't explain the
> last-minute signup before election deadline; the result you outline
> could easily have been achieved without attracting scrutiny by spacing
> out the signups.

Oh, it's kind of obvious to me in this model.

OSMF is dormant and does not exist in people's mind most of the year.
The only time OSMF exists is near Christmas, when the voting happens.
People write manifestos, reports, discuss something.

Someone might have seen it and said "hey, you know what, there's a thing
called OSMF and you can be a member of it". A manager overheard it and said
"yes, we all better be members of it".
And got budget clearance. And scheduled a day for everyone sign up, as if
it was a training or certification. After all, a hundred people are likely
to be just a small local department of 12000-people company, why bother?

It only later occurred to everyone that this small department is comparable
to the size of OSMF, when the hysteria started.
And it's hard to answer "you're trying to fraud voting!" when all you
wanted was a training and a line on employees' CV, and you don't really
care what that OSMF is and what are those elections about.

--
Darafei Praliaskouski
Support me: http://patreon.com/komzpa