[Osmf-talk] Board statement - Membership Working Group report on unusual signups before OSMF election

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Fri Feb 1 11:43:47 UTC 2019

On Friday 01 February 2019, joost schouppe wrote:
> [...] There seems to be a pattern of us "forgetting" about
> properly engaging our partners (this BTW cannot be attributed to any
> one fraction of the Board). But that should be relatively easy to
> fix.

You are still new on the board so i should not put too much weight on
such statements but i think you are seriously mistaken here.

This would probably be about the hardest thing the board has ever done.
Just look at the efforts from the past several years, in particular by
Peter, to achieve some more transparency in the board.  Despite those
we still have a widespread animosity towards or fear of transparency in
board work by many board members and a strong habit of 'secrecy by
default'.  And that although almost every time things are done in
secret this falls onto the board's feet at some point.

Old habits die hard - or as i like to put it - transparency does not
triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but
rather because its opponents eventually retire, and a new generation
grows up that is familiar with it.

This is in particular why i applaud the MWGs firm and principled stand
on the matter of transparency.  No matter how reasonable arguments for
a minimal further delay might be - there is a deeply rooted pattern
here where it is very good if the working groups do not adjust to the
habits of the board and that and this way help breaking the pattern.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/