[Osmf-talk] voting fraud

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Sat Feb 2 19:54:08 UTC 2019

On Friday 01 February 2019, Steve Friedl wrote:

> And on the subject of conflict-of-interest, I feel like I have to
> step up in defense of our board because the term CoI is thrown around
> wildly as an accusatory epithet so often that I wonder sometimes if
> people even know what the term actually means.

Please keep in mind that this is a community of people from very
different cultures.  Many of these cultures have some notion of
conflicts of interest or something similar but not all of this is
exactly the same.  The board can of course adopt a standpoint that the
only thing that matters is what is legal under British corporate law -
turning any discussion of it here into a pointless chat of non-experts
about the interpretation of that law.

Practically however i would consider it perfectly fine (and necessary)
here to discuss the moral implications of secondary interests possibly
influencing deliberation and decision making in the OSMF.  If the board
feels more comfortable not calling this conflict of interest i would
have no problem with that.

See also

https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2018-December/005797.html

--