[Osmf-talk] Board response: Disputed Area Policy (Crimea request)

Peter Barth osm at won2.de
Fri Feb 8 21:56:20 UTC 2019

Hi,

Christoph Hormann schrieb:
> And i think this includes staying open to
> the possibility that the compromise position you have now decided on is
> a bad idea.

I'd strongly assume the board knows it was a bad idea. But it
would look quite strange to the public if they either state it
was a bad idea or change their decision yet again. So we got what
we got for one of several reasons:

* The board got two new members, so the quorum and majority
changed. Hard to change your decision so better make up some
arguments for the original one.

* The decision was taken on merely personal emotions and
relations and not so much on any factual argument. Hard to make
this public.

* The board has a perfectly valid reason. But if they'd tell you,
they'd have to kill you.

* The board believes that there should be an exception to every
rule.

* SBU!

Whatever it is, we sadly won't get a statement conceding this was
a wrong decision. So you have to pick the right one for you or
make up your own.

I for one, to be honest, had been impressed by the final
explanation they published.

Peda