[Osmf-talk] Subscription of OSMF members to the osmf-talk mailinglist

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Feb 18 22:59:00 UTC 2019

Hi,

for what it's worth, I am very much in favour of a press with an attitude.

Too often, especially in cultures that are big on "respect", we have an
ill-conceived notion of fairness leading to a need to "give all sides
equal room", which was lampooned excellently by Ruben Bolling in this
"Doomsday Asteroid" cartoon:

https://boingboing.net/2018/11/28/news-of-the-times-scientists.html

In the face of too much "political balance" like that, I like it if the
press dares to have an attitude.

And that's what the weekly is for me - "the press". And I'm happy they
are not an official organ of the OSMF but an independent corrective,
just like the press are in many democratic societies.

Being liked by those in power is usually not among the foremost duties
of the press.

In turn, this also means that it is ok for the OSMF to keep a healthy
distance from the weekly, and making it "officially recommended reading"
by including it in a welcome message would send the wrong signal.

Bye
Frederik