[Osmf-talk] Board statement - Membership Working Group report on unusual signups before OSMF election

Mikel Maron mikel.maron at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 15:53:18 UTC 2019

> MWG informed the board on 28 November that they were planning to start
an investigation
To clarify, the MWG stated in their minutes that they intended to "inquire in a friendly, positive way about the motivation of these new members to join the OSM". To myself at least, this wasn't clearly an investigation, and the scope of their investigation into the sign up patterns wasn't known to the Board until the report was shared with us over the holiday.
https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Working_Group_Minutes/MWG_2018-11-26#odd_member_signups

To be clear, I'm happy they undertook the investigation into the sign up data, but it's not accurate to say that the Board was notified before they did it.
-Mikel

* Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron

    On Wednesday, January 30, 2019, 10:30:29 AM EST, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

 Hi,

On 1/30/19 1:00 PM, Christoph Hormann wrote:
> * The January board meeting minutes say that "The board has sent emails
> to the company *before* the holidays" (emphasis mine).  Were you aware
> at that time the MWG was in the process of investigation the matter?

MWG informed the board on 28 November that they were planning to start
an investigation. They asked board if we could set up a connection with
Global Logic. The board asked Global Logic if we could share the
previous communication with MWG. Global Logic then asked if we could
schedule a phone call. This ran into the elections and Christmas break,
during which no meaningful communication happened, and the phone call
was held in January. That's the full extent of communication that
happened between MWG telling us of their decision to write a report, and
MWG sending us their finished report.

> When exactly did this communication happen?  What was the content of
> that communication?  Was any information that was not publicly
> available at that time shared with GlobalLogic that could have
> influenced the reaction of GlobalLogic to MWG inquiries?

There is currently no requirement for board email communication to be
public, and whoever emails the board can have reasonable expectations of
confidentiality. I am hence a little uncomfortable with this sounding
like an interrogation. You have no *right* to know, I do not *have* to
answer. It would be more fitting if you could ask politely instead of
firing a volley of snappy questions.

The conversation with Global Logic started when board announced how the
membership cut-off for voting eligibility would be handled. They asked
some questions about this. A few messages were exchanged (written, on
the board side, by Heather, Mikel, and myself) in which we, on the
whole, politely welcomed their contribution and suggested that engaging
with the OpenStreetMap community on the mailing lists could be a
valuable step in avoiding any misunderstandings. I wouldn't say that any
"sharing of information" has taken place at all.

> * The board has also approved a circular saying "The MWG suggested the
> Board release or endorse the GlobalLogic report rather than it coming
> from just the MWG"  Is your statement of receipt meant to serve as
> such?

No. This board decision was made redundant by MWG publishing their
report without waiting for board to come up with an endorsement.

> Unrelated to that i would like to know if the board is considering
> termination of those memberships according to article 17.4 of the AoA?

The only thing I can say with certainty is that there is at least one
board member considering that. The matter requires further discussion.
As always, the board is happy to hear input on this from (a wide range
of) members. Terminating memberships is a grave step - it can be 100
company employees today, and irreverent osmf-talk contributors tomorrow
so it should not be taken lightly.

Bye
Frederik

--